Sunday, February 12, 2012

Free sourdough starter, anyone? :)




Would you like a cup or two of free sourdough starter? This can be used for making a variety of foods, including sourdough bread, pizza crust, cake and pancakes! You can also keep it alive by 'feeding' it a combination of flour and warm water daily. It can also be stored in the refrigerator, where it will sleep until you are ready to use it in a recipe. It still has to be fed every 3-4 days, however.

The starter rising in the night!

This morning before stirring. Yum!

I just got my sourdough going yesterday. I started it half with white flour and half with whole wheat flour (none of the flour has been organic...so it might be genetically modified flour), but ran out of white flour so am currently feeding it with whole wheat flour.

Ready to be fed this morning

I had originally intended to start my starter from scratch (which may be somewhat difficult for the beginner), however, I succumbed to purchasing an enticing packet of San Francisco style sourdough starter that I saw at Whole Foods the other day. The starter I have to offer you is from this packet. 

Next stop - fresh sourdough bread! :)


If you are enticed or curious, feel free to leave a comment or email: 
localtoglobalworks (at) gmail (dot) com! 

*
Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment